This fourth of July Cliff and I decided to skip the fireworks and enjoy America's natural beauty by way of Cumberland Island National Seashore. I had been there when I was about ten and had always wanted to go back. There is just something incredibly mysterious and beautiful about maritime forests to me. I love the ways the spanish moss blankets the trees like lace and the forests just seem so untouched by man. Raw natural beauty. We got to see a lot of wildlife and because we chose to hike rather than chill at the beach the whole day, (like everyone else that came over with us,) we felt like we had to the forest to ourselves. Here's a list of some of the wildlife we were able to see:
-Wild horses
-Wild Turkeys - they were huge!
-Dolphins (on the boat ride over)
-Monarch butterflies
-Banana spiders (Nephila Clavipes)
-Tarantula hawk wasp (these strange creatures sting large spiders to paralyze them and then drag them into a burrow and attach their larvae to the spider. The young feed on the spider when they are born. We saw two of these wasps dragging away ginormous wolf spiders that appeared to be "stunned" while we were hiking. Totally fascinating and totally disgusting.
- Horseshoe crab
-fiddler crabs
-wood peckers
- deer
- Black turkey vultures
-peregrine falcon
- armadillo... being eaten by the vultures....
And there you have it! Nature; the good, the bad, and the GROSS!! ;) Hope everyone had a good 4th!
6 comments:
I like the first video on YouTube when you search for Tarantuala Hawk Wasp. The kids' voices in the background make me laugh.
And, yeah, you guys were right--Gross! I would have been afraid it would sting me then try to carry me away. Ew.
so beautiful, I have always wanted to go to the island off Georgia, but never have maybe one day!
What a fun 4th! And I LOVE the new picture of you and Cliff! You guys look so great!
Hey Jill, glad you found us! Looks like you and Cliff are doing well. Let us know if you have any time when you are here, and we will see if we can get together. Aaron and Lori
Love the pictures, it's a beautiful area. The first banana spider we ever saw was on a camping trip at Hanna Park, and it was missing a leg -- our kids were enamored by this huge spider and named it "7 leg George." Ever since then, any banana spider we come across is now "7-leg George's cousin."
Armadillo being eaten by vultures? I'm way jealous!
Post a Comment