Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Settin' up Shop

Impulse buy.... I was in a 100yen store the other day (like a $1 store only not,) and I stumbled upon these dishes that match the kitchens here. I am not normally a "pink" person but as you will see when I post the pictures of our apartment - the walls of the kitchen are light light pink tile and the cabinets are a sort of peachy pink as well. Like I said - not my first choice but when life hands you lemons... make pink lemonade? I thought these dishes were super cute and the 100 yen stores around here carry much nicer things than a $1 store in the states. I love them! You can find ANYTHING you need. I got 4 place settings worth of dishes (5 dishes to a place setting) for about $27!!! I've decided to do my kitchen in a cherry blossom theme :) When in Rome... er... Japan.....
The dishes are from different sets but they all coordinate
All made in Japan of course. I thought it would be pretty dumb to pick out dishes that were made anywhere else while I'm here.
So as I have mentioned before, we have been here for about a month now. Our express move arrived on the 22nd of this month so we have a T.V. and working computer along with some pots and pans but no furniture. The Navy has rented us some temporary furniture like a couch and coffee table and a bed and nightstand but I am anxious to get our real stuff. That being said we HAVE acquired a few things since we got here.... :) CLIFF AND I FINALLY HAVE A REAL KITCHEN TABLE!!!!!
It's actually a square table. There is a leaf that we have taken out right now but with the leaf added in the table seats eight. It is bar height and the two extra chairs that we are not using right now at the table are actually pictured at our little bar right now!
We got such a good deal on the table and chairs that I couldn't resist buying all 8 chairs. We made the mistake of only buying our leather sofa when we first got married without the love seat and chair and now the design has been discontinued! We didn't want to make that mistake with this table and chair set.

We don't have a ton of room here in this apartment but we will one day. I am soooo happy to be able to eat on a real table now and I am in love with the big square tables. I think they are much more conducive to conversation during meals. We had been eating on a folding card table for the last year a half so I can't not even begin to describe how wonderful this is for us. Ask me how much we spent some time :) You will be amazed!

7 comments:

Debra/Mom said...

The dishes are adorable! Do they come in blue? ;)
The table is beautiful.
Love you both!

The Taylor's said...

I am so happy to hear you didnt have a super long wait for base housing! WOOOHOOO! I cant wait to go to the 100 yen stores together!

Happy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new table and chairs!!!! And the dishes are adorable!! I love your Japan updates, I think your blog may be my new favorite blog to read! We miss you guys but are glad you are doing so well!
P.S. Whenever Teya sees the doll you gave her, she still says, "Jill made it."

Jeanette said...

Yay for new tables and chairs that don't shake when you try to cut your meal! They look nice. And the pink dishes are tolerable. :)

Martha said...

Just found your blog. Enjoyed the Japan pictures. Look forward to more. Love your quilting. I will be checking back often.

Martha
Baton Rouge

The Magic Family said...

Yeah... you're there and your making it home! I love the kitchen table and chairs and the dishes... they are perfect. They have Jill written all over them!

Nichols Family said...

Jill, it's hilarious that I remember those pink sakura 100yen dishes!!! hahaha! I guess 100yen stores are the same all over Japan!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails