Sunday, August 24, 2008

First Few Weeks in JAPAN!!! Part 1 Arriving

When we first arrived in Japan we were exhausted and understandably overwhelmed. It was a reality check when we stepped of the plane and realized that we couldn't read any of the signs and not very many people spoke English. Somehow we found our way down to the baggage claim area and through customs and our sponsor Scott was waiting for us. I can not even begin to tell you how blessed we felt at the end of our first day. Scott took us home from the airport and had us checked into the Lodge already. He had gotten us some groceries too to get us started. When we arrived at the Lodge we also had a message waiting for us from our new branch president. President Smith came over after Scott had left and he brought us more groceries AND some homemade chili! We had a home cooked meal our first night in Japan! And just before we went to bed ANOTHER family from church came over to welcome us and bring us groceries. After and exhausting and very stressful journey we were about in tears from gratitude... actually I was in tears - but I'm really emotional.
Here is Cliff eating a hot pocket with chopsticks
This is the base chapel and one of the only buildings on base to have been built before the war
There are vending machines EVERYWHERE in Japan. I mean that. Everywhere.
A game? called pachinko is extremely popular over here. It's some kind of gambling game I think...
This is our church building. Isn't it beautiful?? It is only a 5 min. drive from base! They gave me a calling the second week we were there and Cliff and I have already spoken in Sacrament meeting.

These tasty little cookies are shaped like mushrooms. There are a lot of interesting treats and snack foods here. Again, we were so grateful to everyone that brought us groceries and helped us to get settled in. Fortunately we only had to stay in the Lodge for about three weeks and we have already moved in to our garden apartment. Our TLA helped us to buy a car (I'll post a pic soon) AND a kitchen table set so we are off to a great start here! Our express move got here this past Friday and our household goods shipment is due mid-September.

2 comments:

Jared and Katy said...

That is so nice of everyone! I'm glad you settled in good!

Anonymous said...

Ha! Love the shrooms!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails