Our sensei uses all fresh and real flowers and prefers a "natural arrangement" as opposed to other schools of ikebana. Apparently there are other methods of arranging that focus more on "feeling" and "impressions." Her mantra is basically that "less is more" and the greatest beauty is in simplicity. I really enjoyed her explanations of arrangements as her process reminded me a lot of my art background. Each arrangement needs a foreground, middle-ground, and background and both positive and negative space are important.
Monday, October 25, 2010
Ikebana and "Spit" Restaurant
I have always wanted to take the "ikebana" class offered on the base, but never made the time or the effort until today. Ikebana is the Japanese art of flower arranging. I really enjoyed it! I had the instructor all to myself for the first 30-40 minutes and she was adorable. I mentioned that my mother loved ikebana and had studied this art in the states and BAM! - we were instant friends. She wanted to know all about my mom and her southern garden club. I promised her I would send pictures of my arrangement to my mother for her, so here you go!
Our sensei uses all fresh and real flowers and prefers a "natural arrangement" as opposed to other schools of ikebana. Apparently there are other methods of arranging that focus more on "feeling" and "impressions." Her mantra is basically that "less is more" and the greatest beauty is in simplicity. I really enjoyed her explanations of arrangements as her process reminded me a lot of my art background. Each arrangement needs a foreground, middle-ground, and background and both positive and negative space are important.
For the month of October, our sensei brought pumpkins to use in the arrangement! Kawaii!
I am very pleased with my work, though truth be told, my sensei did most of it...
At home on the kitchen table. Lilia loved the yellow and the pumpkins of course!
I couldn't resist. I added a few pumpkins of my own!
After ikebana I met up with Mari and Nicole and together we tried a new restaurant in Yamato for a late lunch! Can you read the sign? Yes, it says "Spit." That is the name of this adorable little "mom and pop" cafe where we ate today. The owners, (a husband/chef and wife,) spoke no English, but we made do with our limited Japanese and hand gestures. It was delightful. The food was wonderful and we were well taken care of.
"Spit"
The lovely Nicole awaiting her meal.
I ordered the pumpkin soup and the pork cutlet millanaise. Just for Cliff :)
The food was wonderful and... "handmade" apparently. The wife/ server was adamant about this. All of the dishes served at "Spit" are handmade. Good to know!
The decor was fun and interesting. Definitely a lifetime of memories in this place.
Husband/ chef hard at work there in the kitchen.
The adorable couple themselves. I will definitely be going back to "Spit!"
Our sensei uses all fresh and real flowers and prefers a "natural arrangement" as opposed to other schools of ikebana. Apparently there are other methods of arranging that focus more on "feeling" and "impressions." Her mantra is basically that "less is more" and the greatest beauty is in simplicity. I really enjoyed her explanations of arrangements as her process reminded me a lot of my art background. Each arrangement needs a foreground, middle-ground, and background and both positive and negative space are important.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Looks like you girls are having lots of fun!
You ate Spit food! That is so incredibly awesome.
And what is Ikebana? I get the idea that it is flower arranging? But more?
That food looks SO good. I never had any special places I loved to eat at. Japanese food and I did NOT get along!
Those flowers are beautiful. The pumpkin is especially adorable.
Post a Comment