I was thinking the other day, (this is something I do on occasion,) and I thought about all of the thoughts that I imagine myself writing down (typing) and how I never actually get around to doing that. I am going to make a concerted effort to write more. Or maybe rant more. I don't know. That's what blogs are for, though, right? I used to have a live-journal page that I ranted away on multiple times a week. I liked it. It was... therapeutic. So here goes. Here are some of my thoughts.
Lilia is always sick when Cliff is gone. I have dealt with fever, projectile vomiting, Emergency Room visits, blood tests, catheters, chest x-rays, Japanese hospitals, Yokosuka, incompetent doctors, not to mention the usual annoying congestion and cough, ALL ON MY OWN almost always. I am grateful that Cliff was here last year when Lilia had group b strep, but otherwise it has always been just me. It's not fun. In fact, for the most part it is pretty awful and sometime down right terrifying. Lilia had a 104 temp this past week that lasted nearly seven days. The first doctor we saw told me it was teething. I didn't agree and got a second opinion from another crappy doctor who told me it was a virus and gave me the incorrect dosage for tylenol, (do they even GO TO MEDICAL SCHOOL??) I went back in after the 4th day of the fever and they told me that fevers don't normally go that long and that I should come back in a couple more days if the fever persists because that wouldn't be normal and they would be pretty concerned at that point. Well sure enough, it persisted and we had to run a bunch of tests on Lilia ( who literally fought kicking a screaming,) and all we came up with was that it MIGHT me a UTI. *sigh* I just feel helpless out here. Navy medicine is really great if you are healthy. Most of the time I don't want to complain because it is free... but you pay for it in other ways. You always end up paying. I don't want to get into a huge health care debate here, because this blog is for ME, not for you, but I am looking forward to the day when I can choose my doctors again and decide for myself whether I want to use the Navy's program exclusively.
Anywho, Lilia is on antibiotics now for a possible UTI. Her fever finally came down today, but we may never know if that is because of the medicine or if this really was a virus that just took a really really long time to run it's course. Either way it is tough to watch your little one suffer and not know what to do for them. It's even harder to get a call from your husband who is India or Thailand or Indonesia or Mars and have to explain what is going on knowing he is listening and sulking because he can't help. They got a urine sample from her but were unable to draw blood, (they couldn't find a vein through all of her chub,) and so we are waiting on the culture from the sample to confirm if it really was a UTI or not. If it is, she will have to go down to Yokosuka for further evaluation and imaging and if it was negative for UTI we will have to decide whether or not to keep her on the antibiotics. By we, I mean the doctor and myself. Cliff will hear about the decision long after it has been made. This is the way it works around here.
Now please, don't get me wrong. Most days I love our lives here in Japan. Cliff has a wonderful job and he is an amazing provider, husband, and father. I just need to make very clear that the military has it's ups and downs. You learn to turn your lemons into lemonade out here fast or else you are going to wander aimlessly and despondently through life with a nasty pucker face. I have made some WONDERFUL friends out here. Chrissy left work to go to Singapore with me when we found out that Cliff's ship wouldn't be pulling into port. She also came to the E.R. with me yesterday and stayed by my side and even helped us pin Lilia down for her catheter. Friends like that don't come along every day. You also have the chance to BE a great friend out here and you learn about service. You learn to bake an extra batch of cookies when you are in the kitchen and to wave and smile at EVERYONE you see. You learn to surround yourself with uplifting encourage people and let go of the gossips and the pessimists. You become more compassionate. More adventurous. More independent. You learn what really matters and to discard what really doesn't. You learn to be flexible. You learn a lot about calendars.
That is my rant for today. Thank you for enduring (it) if you made it this far.
4 comments:
Jill, I'm so sorry things have been tough. I've said it before, but I really wish I could come out and help more.
You and Lilia are ALWAYS in my prayers.
I am glad that you have good friends like Chrissy. Give her a hug from me :) (That way you both get a hug)
Love you both.
Momma May
Life is hard when you're a single mom. I've certainly been there during my time in Japan (and soon Germany). Having good friends are a must to survive all the ups and downs.
Sorry to hear about the Lilia drama. Hopefully things will clear up soon. I totally recommend paying for healthcare and having her seen off base in situations like this; I know it costs a fortune but sometimes necessary. Free healthcare is great if it works. There are plenty of insurance plans you can get into that can make that option more affordable. Coming from Canada, I could write a book about it.
Just know that YOU are what's available and ALL she needs to feel loved, protected and full of joy. Cliff is just a super cute bonus when he's around.
Stay strong; you're doing great!
Luckily Tricare does have a plan that allows you to be seen wherever you want and they still cover you, you just have to pay co-pays and stuff. Probably much more of an option once you're state side I guess. My experiences with military doctors (me being the pretty healthy adult) has been pretty good...especially when you see the ones that are civilians that just happen to work at an on base clinic. Those are the best. You are doing so great with everything you've been dealt! My little newbie is growing up so fast! :-) Love to you and Lilia!
Sorry Jill! This sounds tough. I hate feeling like your babies doctors are incompetent, it's awful! And I know that and I'm not in the Navy, so it's not just there. I hate that you have to endure so much on your own. I admire you for being able to deal with that. And you know what, I bet you a million trillion dollars that you are NOT the only one to feel like that. I bet that everyone you talk to has these same feelings, even if it seems like they are perfectly happy. And if they are perfectly happy, they have been through this and have struggled just like you are to figure out a way to smile and see past it. You are stronger than me though, so give yourself that. I am frantic when Evan gets home late from work by an hour! Love you guys!!
Post a Comment