Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Bazaar (Not to be Confused with Bizarre) Finds

Vase
Kokeshi-ish Doll (This was a gift for Lilia)
I may have inherited this from my mother, but I love dolls. Always have. My mom started me out with a doll collection at a very young age and I have always admired her collection. I know some people think dolls are creepy. I think those people are weird.
My favorite thing about the Japanese dolls that I have encountered in my time here is the beautiful fabric used to clothe the dolls. Kimono and Obi silks in incredibly ornate patterns and designs cover the dolls in many layers. This was my most recent find and the Atsugi Bazaar. The bazaar itself was actually rather disappointing, but this doll made up for it! It was marked down when we were leaving because of a small crack in the glass. I ended up getting it for $10.00!
It is a warrior or samurai doll for "Boy's Day" or now "Children's Day" in Japan.
This is another doll for "Children's day" of a young prince. Poor Cliff thought this doll was a girl because of the long hair. It's not! It's a little boy. (My English students read me the kanji.)
This is a Hagoita or battledore paddle. The decorative paddles have a painting on the back as well and were once used by girls for a game played on New Years with a shuttlecock. I think they are BEAUTIFUL!
I bartered with the guys and got this one for around $15.00!! (That is a good price.)
I have acquired a few Obi and Kimono since we have been here too. I seem to gravitate towards the ones with gold or silver....
This was an antique picture that no one seemed to want. I wanted it! It was only $5.00!!!

My friends and I have wondered why the Japanese people are always getting rid of their beautiful things. Why aren't they passed down through families? One of the reasons is because the Japanese people can be extremely superstitious and perceive it to be bad luck or just a bad idea in general to hold onto things that belong to the dead. It is not entirely uncommon to see entire households auctioned off after someone passes away. Not of all of the Japanese people feel this way, of course, but a few still do.

Interesting, don't you think?

2 comments:

Katie said...

What great stuff! The dolls are pretty neat. It was that price with the glass display case? I like the obi holder. I think I'll add that to my things to make list. You say the bazaar wasn't so great. The stuff you found is wonderful. I'd love to see what you find at a good bazaar!

marigirl said...

hey, now that is a nice-looking kokeshi doll. Whoever got Lilia that must think she's quite a DOLL! ha ha!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails