This summer I had the opportunity to learn traditional Japanese dances and then to participate in said dances in three local festivals! We practiced all throughout July and into August and it was a lot of fun! Never in a million years did I think I would be dancing through the streets of Yamato in a traditional summer yukata with hundreds of Japanese spectators, but I did! Lilia was too young for me to leave last summer and next summer we will be moving, so I knew I HAD to jump on this chance as it wouldn't some around again. I was also lucky to have close friends join me in this venture. Together we learned over 10 dances and preformed in Yamato twice and at Atsugi base once. I wish I had more pictures from the first two festivals, but unfortunately I forgot my camera. Most of these pictures are from Atsugi's Bon Odori festival. The Bon Odori festival takes place in August each year on base as a way for us to celebrate and come together with the community at the culmination of "Obon" or just "Bon." During this week the Japanese welcome their deceased ancestors back to their homes. At the end of the week there is dancing and celebration as the families send their loved ones off again and await their return for another year.
Chrissy and Brittany and me at the Torii gate.

Me and the babe

The 51 girls that danced.

AOSA dancers

The little family :)

This is a totally awful picture of me, but very cute of Lilia.

A few of the dancing ladies. Brittany and I were the only ones pictured to dance in all three festivals.

The actual festival on base. We danced in the center ring and on the stage.
1 comment:
That is SO COOL!!! What an awesome experience!!! Good for you for doing it!
And I'm glad you enjoyed my tadpole post! I didn't think anyone would care about any of it at all but I think it is so dang cool that I couldn't help but post all of that. Thanks for letting me know someone out there appreciated it!
Post a Comment