Sunday, July 18, 2010

Kyoto Day Two (Even More)

Our final destination on our second day was Ninna-ji temple. This temple compound was once an imperial residence as well and I found the architecture and atmosphere to be positively sublime. I could have spent a whole week just visiting this one particular compound. I wanted to set up my OWN residence here.
Walking through the main gate was like entering into an entirely different time and place. It's easy to fall in love with Japan when you are in Kyoto.
Even the ticket booths look ancient!











Ninnaji was one of my absolute favorite places in Kyoto. Mysterious, secluded, peaceful... I just loved it. It wasn't very crowded the day that we went either so it also felt very intimate.


Tatami rooms



I just love how Japanese architecture blends with its surroundings. The landscaping and surrounding gardens are an integral part of the overall beauty of temple compounds.
Cliff is the hippie Oregonian in our marriage, (literally,) but even I can appreciate the profound respect the Japanese people have always had for nature.





Japanese "castles" and "palaces" are not flashy and ornate in the same way that western palaces are (think Versailles,) but that doesn't mean they are without exquisite beauty and attention to detail. I was constantly amazed by the lattice work and wood carving.







Haha! I loved the vending machine here. I really think it fit right in....
And that wraps us Ninna-ji and day two!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails