
Kitsune (or fox) statues are everywhere at Fushimi Inari. I guess they are always linked to Inari shrines. They're pretty mean looking... huh?



So everything started off ok. We hiked, we saw, we hiked some more.

Then it began to dawn on us that this hike would never end. We would forever climb and climb and sweat and ache and never get anywhere. The mosquitoes became unbearable and the sticky humidity drenched us before we were even halfway up the mountain according to the convoluted maps we came across.
Bless our hearts we sure did try to make it all the way, but really people... how many torii gates can you look at before they all start to look the same... because they ARE the same. It was tortuous and not very rewarding to continue climbing and climbing upward and never feel like you were getting anywhere...
Not only were we not getting anywhere, but the entire place was sort of crumbling. Many torii gates were in shambles or had faded from rich bright vermillion, to pinkish white or grey. They were moldy and bug infested.
Much needed touch-ups. I felt like the place was falling apart! A lot of the wood was rotting and many of the gates were entirely or partially removed.
Snacks for the weary climber. I found out later that I wasn't supposed to take pictures of the snack stands.... oops!
The view was ... ALMOST worth it. This was only halfway up too. Maybe it would have been even better at the very top... but we didn't make it. We most definitely gave up.
And.... we're calling it quits... Worth seeing? Maybe, maybe note. Worth seeing again? HECK NO!!
4 comments:
? Why were you not allowed to take photos of the snack stands?
I like the tunnel affect of the gates in your photos.
I LOVE Fushimi Inari! However, I didn't climb up the side of the mountain, just walked around for an hour or so :-) I guess I'm lazy, but the views from Kiyomizudera (as you know) are just as nice! Miss you!
Love the pictures and your commentary. We would not have known if you had gone all the way or not. None of us would have even done that much. I'm glad that you had a good time.
Love you all.
Those gates are pretty amazing. LOVE the opening shot of Lilia. So cute.
Post a Comment