I'm really late in writing this. It would have been much more dramatic had I written it about a week ago. I really don't have a good excuse - I've just been crabby and lazy about it. So Cliff was supposed to leave last Tuesday and be gone until either the 14th or the 19th which was precariously close to my due date and making us both very nervous. I had been having a lot of contractions right before he left and I did NOT want him to go. Unfortunately, that's the Navy and that's what we both signed up for. So he DID leave on the 5th (Tuesday morning) and then... on that Thursday afternoon I got a call from our friend Mike at the squadron asking me if I was coming over there. "Why would I come over there? Am I supposed to be coming over there?" I asked. "Um... shoot! Did I just ruin the surprise?" Mike answered. "What!?!?!??" I demanded. Mike told me that Cliff would be landing in about 30 minutes and although I was spectacularly confused I jumped in my car and got over there as fast as I could. Both of us were surprised that day :)
Apparently a part had broken on his ship that held the aircraft in place. It wasn't an easy or a cheap fix so his boss decided to send one of the birds home and Cliff along with it! It was such an incredible answer to our prayers. I kept saying, "if I can just hold out until the 15th when he gets back....." but then he came home early! Having him home with me really calmed me down a lot and of course my contractions have now eased up and this baby will probably wind up late ;) I don't care, though! It's been absolutely wonderful having him here and my mom is here too! I have been such a worry wart throughout this entire pregnancy so it's nice to have a few constants in my life.
The only downside to this situation is that the closer I get to my supposed "due date" (the 21st) the crabbier and crabbier I get. Good GRIEF I am irritable right now. I am having more painful contractions and I am dilated to 3cm and it's doing absolutely nothing. My mom and I go for long walks every night. We even hiked Kamakura this past weekend. That's a lot of stairs people. I think the greatest injustice, though, is my body's betrayal. I made it all the way to 38 WEEKS with no stretch marks and then all of the sudden I had like 5 around the space my belly button used to be. It's like my body said "Look, Jill, we tried to work with you - really we did, but enough is enough." UGH!
I know that my blog has become nothing more than a pregnancy rant, but this is a nearly all-consuming part of my life right now. A part that I am completely over! If there is one thing that I have learned throughout all of this (and those of you that have yet to experience this wonderful portion of the circle of life) is that you NEVER ask a woman at term if she has had her baby yet. Don't even ask her when she is due. In fact, ignore briefly that she is pregnant at all. Ask her about "Lost" or "Dancing with the Stars" if you will. Better yet, just run in the opposite direction.
10 comments:
Jill, I love you! Even when you are crabby, you are hilarious. I hope that doesn't make you crabbier!
The other week when I had a bad morning and I started school in a really bad mood, I started class by saying, "So, I put on my crabby pants this morning, so you'd just better watch it!" And then thinking about the crabby pants made me laugh a little. I was still crabby, but at least I was laughing in a crabby way. (And then a student suggest walking sideways in the manner of a crab, and I really cracked up).
Okay, sorry Jill, but you have me totally cracking up!!! Oh man, that is so funny. I mean, not funny at all. It won't be much longer now!!! I love the pregnancy updates, you can write as much about it as you want to! I'll be thinking of you!
And that's SO awesome about Cliff coming home!!!
I am so glad Cliff came back!! I can't even imagine not being sure if my hubby would be there for the delivery. What a blessing!! I remember people always asking me at 8 months why I hadn't had the baby yet! (Ellie was 3 weeks early!). I remember being so annoyed that people were bugging me about having her and at that point, she would have been a preemie!! Hang in there, it will be over before you know it. Then a whole new adventure begins. (yup, pregnancy is just the beginning)
I'm really glad your hubby is home! I know I worried when mine was gone at 36 weeks! But then again, my children love to annoy me and come only when induced! I hope all goes well with the delivery and nursing! If you go to formula and need anyone to talk to, I'm here. We're currently doing both. And don't worry about your emotions, they only get WORSE! I'm really glad you have your mom there, what a lifesaver for both you AND Cliff AND the baby!
I learned a long time ago with my sisters to stop asking women when they were due or if they've had their child yet.
I understand why women don't enjoy the pressure from others to produce.
In a much weaker example - whenever I have had a goal or upcoming event in my life - I get a little annoyed with the question - "HAS IT HAPPENED YET - WERE YOU ACCEPTED...etc"
But I guess it comes with the territory and people are just trying to show that they care - but I agree - wait for the person to announce the info to you instead of asking them over and over again - too much pressure.
So i feel for you Jill. I am so glad your prayers were answered and that Cliff is with you.
So, have you had your baby yet?
LOL, sorry - I love you both!
take care
Jey
haha...your soo funny just sing the song "Love At Home" a little more often and maybe you won't be so irritated...or maybe that will make you more irritated...I tried!
Jill, I love you. I forgot how crabby pregnant women can get. (I guess it's one of the things you forget), but I would guess Richard would remember quite well.
I too am glad Clifford has come home. But, I never doubted he would be there. I told you to leave all the worrying to me, I'm an expert at it.
Love you.
Hey Jill! This is Naomi White-- not sure if you remember me from crew. Anyway, I found your blog on facebook and I really like it.
I empathize with your "don't ask about the baby" part. I'm getting married in a few weeks and I'm so thrilled and excited... it's such a wonderful thing... but I'm kinda sick of talking about weddings. I want to be like, "There's more to me than just a bride! What else is on the conversational menu?"
speaking of which, when is dancing with the stars on??? I promise to never ask you about pregnancy. :)
I LOVE YOU JILL!! You are so funny! I'm glad that she came early for Cliffs sake. :)
Post a Comment