Thursday, July 28, 2011

Hurry up and Wait... Some Thoughts on Patience.

Hurry up and Wait is the mantra of a military wife. Wait on husbands to return from deployments, wait on orders, wait on furniture to arrive when you are moving... from a different country. Wait on babies to be born... oh, wait, that has nothing to do with the military. :)

So the May family is finally together again and we have made it to Virginia. The waiting on Cliff is over! We bought a lovely home in a dreamy neighborhood. We have received our "express shipment" of clothing and cleaning supplies, but are still waiting on our house hold goods and furniture and we are DESPERATELY still waiting on our washer and dryer. If all this waiting wasn't enough, we are also waiting for our second daughter to be born.

You would think that the second time around you would know just exactly what to do when it came to labor and contractions, etc. There are a couple of minor grievances with this pregnancy, though... (ok well actually I've had a lot of issues, but that's another whiny rant...) So I have been having contractions fairly consistently for about two and half ... maybe three weeks now. They are consistently about 15 minutes apart. Early labor. Annoying, but effective at very gradually dilating this cervix of mine. At my last appt at a little over 38 weeks I was dilated to almost a 4 and 60% effaced. The tricky thing is that sometimes my contractions get really close together and are pretty intense for a few hours at a time. The other day we were sure we were going to the hospital when they were about 2-4 min apart and becoming more and more intense.... but then I went to lay down and try and get some rest in preparation of long labor and, oops! they went away. This has happened a few times. I have even had some bloody show along with these intense contractions. So false labor, right? I guess so... The problem is that Lilia (as many of you know,) had group B strep and I, therefore, need to be on antibiotics for this delivery. I need to be on them for a min. of 4 hours, but preferably 6 hours prior to delivering. My O.B. even said that to play it safe she would rather I just go ahead and come into the hospital if my contractions are 10 min or less apart for an hour. Yuck! How tricky is that? That seems to happen all the time now, but then they go away! I wanted to try and labor as much at home with this pregnancy, but I also want to avoid another GBS baby like the devil himself. I don't want to get to the hospital and have it turn out to be false labor yet again, but I also don't want to risk missing the real deal and accidentally missing that 4-6 hour window... or worse having my baby in my bath tub at home!! (I know people that have done this and who can tell with a second baby??) Ugh... I guess I am just annoyed. I'm tired of being pregnant and I am still throwing up. I am tired of being pregnant, but also incredibly anxious about our lack of furniture and no washer and dryer. Can't someone just tell me exactly what to do and when this baby is going to come?

Well... sort of. My doctor at my last appt. decided that she didn't want to wait another full week to see us and had me schedule another appt. for Friday when I will be 39 weeks. At that point she wants me to seriously consider being induced - either that day or maybe scheduling for Monday. Answer to all of our prayers? Maybe. I am a little weary of an induction. What does that even mean? She said they would try stripping membranes and such first. That definitely worked for Lilia. I just don't know how I feel about pitocin. I have never heard anything good about it, but if it can get things going and I can be on the antibiotics in time it would be worth it, right?

So that is my life right now. Waiting and waiting. And waiting.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Pregnancy just hasn't been normal for either of us, has it?! You know, when I ended up having to get induced early, I was so emotionally spent, that I actually felt relieved. It was all going to end. The sickness, the waiting, for me- the pain. Sigh- Just pray. Get your answer and then don't worry.:) I make that sound so easy. Ha! In the end all that matters is that she's here and healthy.

Sha nay nay said...

Pictocin is hard,but good. My second time with it was better than the first. I also had an epidural though, I feel like the two go hand in hand. As far along as your body is, I doubt it'll be bad. I was only about 2cm when they induced me the first time when it hurt worse. Thanks for the post!

Krista said...

Hey!!! So after our FB conversation I decided I needed to catch up. And indeed, I did! So YAY baby time! YAY new house! YAY Charlottesville!! Evan's brother just got there like today, so we will DEFINITELY call you when we come up to visit! Keep your eye out for the Mullins' family, with the guy who looks exactly like Evan! YAY for a new car! YAY for chatty Lilia! And PUSH Mama, PUSH that baby out!! Praying for a healthy delivery and baby :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails