Friday, January 22, 2010

Lilia Tries Again!

When Lilia was 6 months old we tried some solid food with her. She seemed to do well enough with rice cereal and even ate sweet potato and squash for about a week or two. I thought I would try a few more foods the following week and that apparently was a mistake. She developed this craaaaaaaaazy gag reflex where no matter WHAT I tried to feed her, she would throw up. It got to the point where even SEEING the spoon produced a sour face and touching the spoon to her lip made her throw up. It was awful so I took a break. I tried again every week or two with the same foods we started with and I even tried some new foods with absolutely no luck. I didn't really stress about it as Lilia is certainly not malnourished. She's like a sumo baby or something. My mom jokes that I am feeding her straight cream rather than breast milk... but I digress.

I decided to try her on solids again without much hope for success this past week. To my amazement Lilia was ready again! We have gotten her to successfully eat pear, peaches, pear/pineapple, and oatmeal! This is really huge for her. I was beginning to think I would be breastfeeding her exclusively through kindergarten. The most wonderful thing about it is that I can cut back on some feedings and this frees up our schedule a bit. Now she isn't eating very much when it comes to solids... maybe a few tablespoons at a time, but at least she isn't barfing or gagging. I am hesitant to try vegetable again due to the past experiences we have had, but maybe it is worth a shot given the success of this past week.

Here are a few shots of her "feeding" herself. Enjoy!








5 comments:

Sha nay nay said...

I have to give Irelynn a sippy cup (without the insert) when she's eating more textury foods. It helps her to not gag. Anna would eat ANYTHING I put in front of her.

Katie said...

Too cute!! Where's the salt!? :)

Happy said...

Okay, I'm so sorry I write the longest comments EVER on your blog, but your posts just really get me thinking! Here it is:
You know, I had the same problem with my kids and solids, minus the excessive throwing up. They only threw up a couple of times from getting food in their mouth, but they did REFUSE to eat it! ANYTHING! Teya was literally 13 months old the first time she ate anything other than breastmilk- and it was a cracker. Dallin was about 10 months old before he'd eat anything. Like you, I tried over and over again. With Teya, I was FREAKING OUT over the fact that she wouldn't eat, b/c, hello, she was so old, so a couple of doctors told me I needed to "starve her" and refuse to breastfeed her until she was so hungry she'd eat the solids. My mother's intuition told me that was not the right choice, and since she was still totally healthy, I just kept breastfeeding and offering solids and taking her out in the sun every day for her vitamin D that my breastmilk didn't provide her (and she needed after 12 months old or something like that). I started meeting with a Le Leche League leader and she stressed that if babies refuse to start solids, don't force it, that it is their bodies was of saying they are not ready AND of trying to prevent food allergies. She knew of other babies in Teya's same situation. I had to call her a couple of times for emotional support! Anyways, all turned out totally fine! Well, except for the fact that my kids are now the pickiest eaters on the planet and only eat about 5 foods each.

Denise said...

So happy she's cooperating! Your pictures are adorable.

Anonymous said...

I love this kid! Thank you for posting so many pictures. I enjoy them so much.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails